Home Based Businesses
All Home Based Businesses for residents of Madison County must be approved by the Madison County Board of Zoning Appeals.
Hearings for the Board of Zoning Appeals are held on the fourth Wednesday of each month. All applications along with a $200.00 application fee are to be submitted to the Madison County Building Dept. located inside of the Madison County Courthouse by the first Friday of the month to be heard.
Hearings will take place at the City of Jackson City Hall, 1st floor, George A. Smith Meeting Room.
If you have any further questions, contact Elvis Hollis at the City of Jackson Planning Dept. at 731-425-8282 or 731-425-8283.
A list of requirements for Home Based Businesses are provided below:
Home occupations, provided that no building permit or certificate of occupancy for such use shall be issued without the written approval of the Board of Zoning Appeals and subject to such conditions as the Board of Zoning Appeals may require in order to preserve and protect the character of the area in which the proposed use is located; and provided further that:
1. The home occupation shall be limited in employment to residents of the property.
2. The home occupation shall be clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the site for dwelling purposes and shall not change the residential character thereof.
3. The home occupation may be conducted within the dwelling and/or within an accessory building provided that all structures used shall be harmonious in appearance with the residential area.
4. Unless otherwise determined by the Board of Zoning Appeals, there shall be no sales of products or services not produced on the premises.
5. There shall be no external alteration of the appearance of the property, the dwelling, or accessory building in which the home occupation is conducted which would reflect the existence of said home occupation. There shall be no outdoor advertising display signs permitted.
6. The home occupation shall not be the primary or incidental storage facilities for a business, industrial, or agricultural activity conducted elsewhere. Also, all storage of materials associated with the home occupation shall not be openly visible and the display of materials, implements, and/or end products shall be prohibited.
7. No additional points of access to any street, road, or highway shall be permitted, unless necessary to provide safe and proper access to the proposed use.
8. The use has not been found likely to become a nuisance by reason of odor, dust, smoke, gas, vibrations, excessive vehicular or pedestrian traffic or to impose a hazard to health or property.