Building Permits, Deeds, & Mobile Homes
Building permits are used to add (pick up) new buildings or remodels to the tax roll.
Demolition permits are used to remove buildings from the tax roll OR prorate based on the date of removal; A field check (visual) is performed to verify each.
For more information regarding permits and other building regulations:
- If your house / building is located within the Jackson City limits go to the City of Jackson Building Department or call (731) 425-8262.
- If your house / building is located in Madison County ONLY, call (731) 423-6014 the Madison County Building Department.
- To help ensure our records are correct, please purchase permits for remodels, room additions, repairs especially due to storm/flood damage and new home construction.
Deeds are brought to this office to be stamped before being taken to the Register of Deeds for recording. Please make sure your name is spelled correctly, your mailing address is listed AND the correct Map and Parcel are on the deed. After the deed is stamped it should be taken to the Register of Deeds office to be properly registered. This office cannot transfer property if the deed is not / has not been registered.
The MAILING ADDRESS listed on the deed will be entered into our database and used by both the Madison County Trustee and the City of Jackson Revenue office as the mailing address for tax notices.
For more information regarding deeds please call the Madison County Register of Deeds office at (731) 423-6028.
Property Ownership and Name Changes
Any change in ownership must be accompanied by a legal document.
(1) If the name change is due to marriage, we will need a copy of your marriage license or your new driver’s license with your new last name.
(2) If the name change is due to divorce, we need a copy of your divorce decree and/or quit claim deed transferring ownership to you and changing your last name.
(3) If the request is for the removal of a name due to death:
(a) If the person requesting the removal IS NOT a co-owner - NOT listed on the deed, we need a copy of the REGISTERED Probated Will
UPDATE: PLEASE BE SPECIFIC WHEN REFERRING TO REAL PROPERTY
NOT SPECIFIC : Any real property I own in Madison County at the time of my death
SPECIFIC: The real property located at 456 D Street in Jackson, TN - 099X-Y-999.00
(b) if the person requesting the removal of a name IS a co-owner whose name IS on the deed, please contact our office in addition to a copy of the Death Certificate, there maybe other information required.
For more information regarding Name Changes please call our office (731) 423-6063
Mobile Homes and Mobile Home Parks
Mobile home registrations are brought to this Office to ensure the location of mobile homes are known and assessed.
For more information regarding Mobile Home Registration please call (731) 423-6091 or go to the Madison County Clerk’s website.