- Building Department
- Required Permits & Inspections
Permits and Inspections
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2018 International Building Code or 2018 International Residential One and Two Family Dwelling Code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Madison County Building Commissioner and obtain a required permit.
Building Permits and Inspections
- A building permit is required and can be purchased at the Madison County Building Dept.
- Footing Inspection
- Foundation Inspection
- Slab Inspection (plumbing inspection required before building slab)
- Floor Joist and Girders (before covered)
- Framing Inspection (all trade inspections required before framing inspection)
- Insulation Inspection
- Final Inspection (all required inspections must be approved before final)
Electrical Permits and Inspections
Electrical permits are required, inspections are performed by Deputy Electrical Inspectors for the State of Tennessee. Permits can be purchased Online, ACE Hardware or B&R Supply and proof of inspections are required before any framing or final inspections.
Information on required permits must be obtained from the State of Tennessee.
Plumbing Permits and Inspections
- A separate permit is required for plumbing and can be purchased at the Madison County Building Dept. A letter from the Madison County Health Dept. is required for all septic systems, before a building or plumbing permit can be issued.
- Slab (water test required)
- Underground piping
- Rough-In (water test required)
Gas Permits and Inspections
- A separate permit is required for gas and can be purchased at the Madison County Building Dept.
- Underground piping
- Rough-In (pressure test of 40 psi required)
- Pressure test inspection when required by utility provider
REQUIRED INSPECTIONS FOR EXISTING FUEL GAS PIPING SYSTEMS
Jackson Energy Authority requires that all existing fuel gas systems whether propane or natural; be inspected for leaks after the service has been disconnected for extended length of time, life-safety hazards are found, damage from fire or natural disasters, or any other issues that may cause JEA to have concerns for the health and safety of the occupants to any structure in which fuel gas piping is to be connected.
These inspections are to be performed by a Madison County Building Department Inspector after a permit is applied for and purchased. These permits can be purchased by homeowners who reside at that residence (not a rental or investment property) or a state licensed contractor who meets license requirements in accordance with the State of Tennessee. A pressure test of 40 psi for the entire gas piping system is also required before an approval will be given to reconnect service. Any code violations, deficiencies, leaks, improper pipe sizing, etc. must be repaired or replaced before approval to reconnect service.
Mechanical Permits and Inspections
- A separate permit is required for Mechanical and it can be purchased at the Madison County Building Dept.
- New Installs
- Unit change outs
Fire Saftey Permits and Inspections
A separate permit is required for all fire sprinkler systems, standpipes, domestic sprinkler heads, foam, halon, wet, dry or co2 extinguishing systems, fire alarm systems, hood and duct systems and fuel dispensing systems. These permits can be purchased at the Madison County Building Dept.