Baby and Me Tobacco Free
Baby and Me Tobacco Free Program (BMTF)
- BMTF Program is a voluntary program designed for pregnant women to quit smoking and stay smoke-free during postpartum.
- This program has four prenatal sessions which mothers attend that will guide them to quit smoking and stay quit during and after pregnancy.
- At the end of session 3 and 4, the mother will receive a free $25 diapers and wipes voucher if she is smoke-free.
- After the baby is born and mom is staying tobacco free, mom is eligible for 12 months of $25 diaper vouchers, each month after passing her breath test visit she is rewarded with a voucher for $25 worth of diapers and wipes.
Benefits for your baby:
- Increases the amount of oxygen your baby will get
- Increases the chances your baby’s lungs will work
- Lowers the risk that your baby will be born too early or too small
- Increases the chance that your baby will come home from the hospital with you
Benefits for you:
- Gives you more energy and helps you breathe easier
- Improves your health & reduces your risk of cancer
- Saves money
- Makes your clothes, hair and home smell better
- Makes your food taste better
- Helps you feel good about what you’ve done for you and your baby
Question and Answer
- Who is eligible?
- Any woman (regardless of age, income, etc.) who is a resident of Tennessee that is pregnant and have used tobacco within 3 months of becoming pregnant.
- Must be ≤ 36 weeks’ gestation
- How long does it take when doing the carbon monoxide breath test?
- Each test takes approximately 5 minutes
- If someone lives in my house (grandma, boyfriend, husband, sister, etc.) and is a smoker can they join the program?
- A smoker who lives with you can enroll, quit smoking and you receive an additional monthly $25.00 diaper voucher for up to 12 months
- As a household this totals $50 per month.
- What if I’m pregnant with twins?
- You will receive vouchers for each child. A household person who smokes in the household and enrolls in the program will also be eligible for a voucher for each child.
- How many women have enrolled in this program?
- Over 4,311 women have enrolled in Tennessee
- Over 23,000 women have enrolled nationwide
- Do I have to buy a certain type of brand of diapers and wipes?
- The diaper vouchers can be used for any brand or size at Walmart.
To enroll in this program or additional questions, call the Health Education Department at the Madison County Health Department at 731-927-8534.